Donald Trump has Worked Harder Against New York Republicans than Just About Anyone
For a non-politician, Donald Trump certainly got around before he started running for President. The New York “former” Democrat tended to favor buying favors from Democrats much more than Republicans in his home state. As a result, he influenced elections and made certain that the Democratic party maintained a stranglehold over the state’s government.
Ted Cruz’s campaign released an ad highlighting Trump’s complicity in keeping Democrats in power:
Over at Red State, they detailed these allegations:
Ties Donald Trump To Democrats And Corruption | RedState https://t.co/8jgEYY7WKI
— Ginger L Wills (@GingerLWills) April 7, 2016
- Trump handed over $41,000 to Eliot Spitzer, who made it all the way to the Governor’s Mansion before his relationship with a high-priced prostitute became public. And Trump gave almost $4500 to disgraced former Congressman Anthony Weiner who publicly tweeted lewd pictures of himself.
- Trump has no problem handing out cash to some of the most liberal politicians hailing from New York. He gave $64,000 to Andrew Cuomo, helped elect and re-elect New York mayor David Dinkins, and donated $8,900 to Chuck Schumer, one of the leading Senate Democrats advocating for amnesty and to put liberal justices on the Supreme Court.
- Trump is a significant backer of the corrupt Democrat machine in New York, giving $138,000 to the party over several decades. Since 1999, Trump has personally contributed over $350,000 to New York candidates and committees, and at least an additional $50,000 through one of his businesses.
- Trump’s relationship with the Clintons goes back decades. In addition to inviting Bill and Hillary to his wedding, he has contributed to Hillary’s New York senate and presidential campaigns, and given at least $100,000 to the Clinton Foundation (though some reports have it closer to $250,000).
- He’s also given thousands of dollars to individuals with legal and ethical violations. Trump gave $56,000 to convicted felon Alan Hevesi who went to prison for a massive pay to play pension scandal. He contributed to a disgraced Queens assemblyman who stole $90,000 from a little league association. And he donated to Sheldon Silver, a former Speaker of the New York State Assembly who is facing 130 years in prison for a corruption.
Donald Trump has no problem acknowledging that he was a Democrat most of his life and that he used his wealth to influence politics in New York. If that doesn’t come back to bite him, then New York truly represents the liberal Democratic values that Ted Cruz has claimed they do.