Home»Politics»I’m a lifelong Democrat but I’m backing Ted Cruz. The Clinton/Trump debacle must be avoided.

211
Shares
Pinterest Google+

I’m that girl who still thinks Jimmy Carter deserved a second term. I’ve spent years apologizing for Bill Clinton’s lack of integrity by pointing to his positive policies. I’ve even defended Barack Obama, the most disappointing President I’ve ever supported. Twice. Now, I’m going down a strange and very different road. I’m supporting Ted Cruz.

No, I haven’t converted to conservatism. However, I’m a Bernie Sanders fan and as much as I wish things were different, his chances are pretty much nil at this point. Hillary Clinton will be the Democratic nominee. The thought of someone so vile and unethical sitting in the White House is only equaled by her liberal counterpart on the Republican side, Donald Trump. Both represent something that goes beyond bad policy and challenges with the truth. They are self-serving, egotistical demagogues and neither can be allowed to be President of the United States.

Ted Cruz, for all of the policy components that he represents in opposition to my viewpoints, is a man of integrity. He is the conservative Bernie Sanders and in many ways his views are not too far off. I know that’s hard for most to wrap their brains around, but true liberalism and true conservatism are different sides of the same coin. The devilish moderation and deal-making that plagues Washington DC are different coins altogether.

Despite being a progressive, I’m pro-life. Despite being a progressive, I’m not for gun control. I might be socially and fiscally liberal in almost every regard, but those two items fall more in line with my Christian faith than my political ideologies. In that regard, I guess I’m conservative. Otherwise, I don’t agree with what Ted Cruz plans, but I wholeheartedly agree with what he represents: an end to corruption in this great nation’s capital.

My progressive friends (which accounts for pretty much all of my friends) are halfheartedly condemning my decision. It’s important that it’s halfhearted because they can’t form a coherent argument against my stance other than the conservative ideals that Cruz represents. In other words, they’re not adamantly supportive of Clinton, but they don’t like what Cruz would do in office. When I ask them how it would be different from what Clinton would do in office, they point to policy issues such as gay rights and social security. When I ask them if they trust Clinton to do what she claim she’ll do, they shrug. Yes, shrug. Even those who hate what Cruz represents cannot make an argument about his integrity versus Clinton. When it comes to Trump, I like to classify people into one of two categories: either they realize how bad of a President Trump would be or they don’t.

With Sanders done, the country needs a moral leader. Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump would be the race to the bottom that I thought we’d reached with George W. Bush and Barack Obama, but either of them would be far worse than their predecessors. As hard as it is to admit, Ted Cruz is the only ethical candidate with a chance of being in the White House in 2017. For that reason, he has my support.

Previous post

Jared Fogle beat up by 60-year-old inmate

Next post

Anti-Establishment vs Anti-American: Why the GOP is rallying behind Ted Cruz

26 Comments

1. Laura Carpenter
    March 19, 2016 at 6:36 pm

You certainly sound more rational and far more intelligent than Harvey Firestein today. I appreciate your thoughts and am likewise backing Senator Cruz.

2. June Huffman
    March 19, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Cruz is way to weak & dependent on nwo finances to be trusted. Both he & his wife are owned by Golden Sachs Bank who are the nwo illuminati bunch!
    I’d vote for Mr. Trump any day over the other bought & paid for nwo puppets!
    *************>>><<<***********
    **********GO! TRUMP! GO!********
    Looks like everyone is jealous of Trump! A real man with common sence! Doesn't have to have his script written before him telling him what to say or think! Because he's not a mindless bought puppet from the evil nwo people…who are destroying our country as well as they are hurting all the other countries by using the decieved craziness of the satanic worship & evil ways of the muslims. To do their dirty work of murdering innocent people.
    That hillary clinton is evil through & through she would be just obama even worse if that was possible. All the others running for president on the republic party are bought & paid for puppets by the illuminati satan worshipers. Period!
    I think Trump is on the side of the hard working people of America. Yes he has his faults & hopefully he is awakened to the fact we are being had by a very corrupt government that the American people should have stood up against when they murered President Kenedy for wanting to get ride of The Federal Reserve Bank that reduces us all to slaves that these evil people just stamp us at birth with a slave # that they call a social security # that they start using us as calaterial the day we are born. etc., etc.,.We the prople of America keep getting the short end of the stick…while being robbed to support our worst enemy the muslims, support wars that are not for peace but bully take over. In the evil quran they swear death to all who will not worship their god satan they call ellah. They swear to take over & destroy all lands & people who are not devil worshipping muslims.
    WE ARE SO IN THE FINAL DAYS!!!
    ***JESUS IS LORD! TO THE GLORY of GOD!***
    **************************************************
    WAKE UP! – DO YOUR RESEARCH! – TV! NEWS IS BOUGHT & PAID FOR BY THE EVIL BANKERS THAT STEAL THE WEALTH OF THE PEOPLE!

3. guy
    March 19, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Wow. This article gives me hope. Thanks for lending your support. In the end, we are all Americans, not parties. Evil is evil, and must be resisted. You’ve made a good choice.

4. Lil
    March 19, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Thank you for writing this! I was 1 yr too young to vote Reagan but would have, voted Perot & held my nose GOP ever since. So we’re really not that different! Just wanted to let you know that Cruz is for states rights when it comes to gay marriage. If it’s not specifically stated in the Constitution, the federal government has no place in it! We’re on the same team, USA! Oh and he has a social security plan too! See his website!

5. Lisa
    March 19, 2016 at 9:43 pm

I like what she has to say, but for her friends to assume that Ted Cruz is going to completely undo the gay marriage rights (although he believes that marriage is between one man and one woman), doesn’t mean that he’s going to undo it. However, he DOES believe in STATES’ rights; meaning that the decision to legalize same-sex marriage (although I don’t believe in it, either) would be up to the states and even having the citizens vote upon it.

6. Truth Gun
    March 20, 2016 at 3:49 am

Well reasoned Ms. Wimble.

I never understood why true Democrats can’t see Ted’s Flat Tax for what it is: A Democrat talking point for the last 80 years: stopping corporate welfare. Ted’s plan, eliminates 100 years of lobbyists carving out loopholes in the tax code.

This one aspect ALONE should be enough for Democrats to join Team Cruz.

Just sayin.

7. Jennifer
    March 20, 2016 at 4:07 am

What is it about Ted Cruz’s plans that you don’t agree with?

8. Philistine
    March 20, 2016 at 10:03 am

You might want to research Net Neutrality before you say Mr. Cruz is entirely ethical. In my view, the only ethical choices are Sanders or Kasich.

Neither has much of a chance.

My fear with Trump, Clinton, and Cruz is that they will continue the current effort of using the power of the Federal government to impose their will on State and Local governments.

9. Bill N
    March 20, 2016 at 10:14 am

Wow! Politics does make strange bedfellows, indeed. Nice piece, worth the read. Did you ask what Ted would do to gay rights other than he considers it a state issue and not federal? Then there the usual social security non issue. What do they think he will do with social security other than reform it so it’s there and doesn’t go belly up? Thanks for writing.

10. Chris Weaver
    March 20, 2016 at 1:24 pm

” but true liberalism and true conservatism are different sides of the same coin. ”
    No… they are not they are the same side. Sanders is NOT a classic liberal. He IS a classic socialist.
    The definition you use (imply) of “true” liberalism does not equal Liberty which is the root of Classical Liberalism… its another term the left has bastardized to hide behind…
    I commend your integrity in acknowledging Cruz’s integrity.
    Hillary or Trump…. either way Soros wins.

11. Bill
    March 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm

HaHaHaHa,
    I guess it must have been that sermon that Jesus gave about gun control being a sin that convinced her to vote for Cruz.

12. HeyJudeOregon
    March 20, 2016 at 10:15 pm

I totally agree with Lorie. I was a Democrat for over 40 years working on every Presidential Election since High School, the last being Hillary Clinton’s in 2008. Hillary has completely changed since 2008 and can’t get past Benghazi! Both my husband left the party last year. I have completely VETTED every candidate. TED CRUZ should be America’s next President! I look at each of the Candidates and NOT the party they are affiliated with.
    TED CRUZ is a fighter for “WE THE PEOPLE” and his records proves that completely! He stands with the Constitution, Bill of Rights, In God We Trust, & “WE THE PEOPLE!” America will lose if we do not have a PRESIDENT CRUZ. VOTE CRUZ!

13. HeyJudeOregon
    March 20, 2016 at 10:24 pm

I completely agree with Lorie. I was a Democrat for over 40 years working on every Presidential Elections since High School. The last being Hillary Clintons in 2008. Hillary has changed dramattially and I can’t get past Benghazi. I have VETTED every Candidate this election and I can asure you that it is TED CRUZ who should be our next President. Cruz is NOT establishment and infact has been fighting them in the Senate since he got there for YOU & ME. Cruz stands with “WE THE PEOPLE”, the Constitution & Bill of Rights. ALL Immigration laws will be enforced if he is President including DEPORTATION. It was Ted Cruz who talked about building the wall back in 2011/2012 when he was running for Senator in Texas. Texans will tell you he is a man of his word, went to Washington and did what he said he would do. He stopped Amnesty in 2013, and fought Obamacare. This is why I have chosen TED CRUZ FOR PRESIDENT. A MAN OF HIS WORD THAT STANDS WITH “WE THE PEOPLE” and we WILL get OUR Country back with a PRESIDENT CRUZ.

14. Claudia Bird
    March 21, 2016 at 1:53 am

Just to be clear,Ted Cruz disagrees with SSM personally, but he has stated over and over that it is a States issue and the federal government needs to stay out of it. There isn’t a single policy idea Cruz has published that favors one group of people over another. As well, his firm stance on freedom of religion includes and protects all faiths, not just Christians. Ted Cruz is what our country desparately needs. And yes, please do your research which means going beyond disreputable sites like redstatewatcher, prntly, conservativetreehouse and others that are continuously popping up.

15. Brian Yoder
    March 21, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Interestingly, I feel the same way about Sanders. While he’s a staunch opponent of everything I think is good and true on a policy level, I think he’s an honest guy and not a participant in the crony policies of folks like Clinton and Trump who are both constant liars and up to their necks in corruption. I strongly favor Cruz as the GOP nominee because despite his religious views (I’m an atheist and he’s far far from that), he seems like a man of integrity and favors religious liberty even for people like me.

I would FAR rather see a straight up contest between Sanders and Cruz…an open and honest contest between the representatives of two divergent views of government than the alternative of a choice between two corrupt dishonest pragmatic backers of backroom crony deals certain of ripping us all off again.

16. Jim Rudolph
    March 22, 2016 at 7:19 am

He’s a religious zealot! We do not need another step backward while we are in a move in a progressive direction forward. He is a major mistake for our nation.

17. EdTechWiz
    March 22, 2016 at 8:36 am

Wow. I’m impressed! Someone who actually believes that the content of one’s character is far more important than the color of their skin, their faith, or their political party.

I pray there will be many more like you, because that kind of attitude and stance will actually transform our country in positive ways and give us all the hope we want.

18. Jeff
    April 15, 2016 at 1:44 am

I call BS on this one.

No one who isn’t an insane right wing fundamentalist retard would even think about voting for Cruz.

19. Hope
    April 15, 2016 at 4:40 am

A Liberal government removes the blessing of giving and sharing from of the hands and hearts of the people. The government’s sole purpose is to govern.

20. Gina
    April 15, 2016 at 7:05 am

In this ugly election season, I applaud ANY argument, even ones I don’t agree with, that are based on fact and rationale rather than feelings. Thank you for lending your support to Senator Cruz. Thank you for weighing the issues, doing your research and conveying it all in this articulate article. Integrity, on all fronts, has been difficult to find this season. Thank you for yours.

21. Jack
    April 15, 2016 at 2:27 pm

“Hillary Clinton will be the Democratic nominee. The thought of someone so vile and unethical sitting in the White House is only equaled by her liberal counterpart on the Republican side, Donald Trump. Both represent something that goes beyond bad policy and challenges with the truth. They are self-serving, egotistical demagogues and neither can be allowed to be President of the United States.”

How can someone who wanted a 2nd term for Jimmy Carter, was a career apologist for Bill Clinton’s sexism-sexual assaults, and voted for Obama twice, can all of a sudden be so rational and cogintively coherent. Good to hear you are finally starting to think rationally, coherently, intelligently.

22. Gina
    April 15, 2016 at 4:31 pm

This article and replies are making me wonder if I entered the twilight zone. Cruz is bought and paid for by fossil fuels and WallStreet, just like Hillary, plus pushes his false, perverted version of Christianity that in no way reflects Jesus.
    And Bernie has won way more than him!!! The media is full of shit about Bernie being done, the only way he won’t win is if too many crazies like you keep treating the election like a horse-race instead of voting for who they actually like. Bernie is the only one who isn’t corrupt and that even deserves to be on the ballot at all. Shame on all of you.

23. Evan
    April 15, 2016 at 10:55 pm

As a Rand supporter, a constitutionalist, and damn near a libertarian, this is essentially the same path my thoughts have gone down with Ted. But the more I hear from him, the more I realize his integrity and character are his strongest points. He is too “conservative” for me on some of his views but almost all of those he believes are up to the states anyways. And he recently stated that he believes marijuana regulation is a states rights issue. He would personally vote against legalization – but only in his own state. just an example. This mindset is how our nation was meant to be governed.

24. Scott
    April 16, 2016 at 5:18 am

There are so many people who are truly afraid of the prospects of this election season. My 17 year old son sneaked out of the house the other night at one in the morning, drove down the road, and recorded this song. Given what many 17 year olds are sneaking out of their houses to do at 1:00 A.M… I am a blessed man! I hope his song encourages you.

25. Rob gondwe
    April 16, 2016 at 1:40 pm

I agree with everything u said. Cruz is in it for the country and both trump and Hillary are in it for themselves

26. lindsey
    April 18, 2016 at 8:44 am

“With Sanders done?” You’ve just alienated the most morally structured candidate for Ted Cruz? Sanders has done vastly better in the primaries than Cruz has. If you truly cared about our economy and our nation, you would vote for the only candidate who wants to take money out of politics, the only candidate whose entire campaign is funded by the people. We complain over and over again about how our politicians do not work for us, they work for themselves and for corporations, ect. I don’t believe that you’re a Jimmy Carter girl because Jimmy Carter has been and still is campaigning for the repeal of Citizens United. Please reply back with your comments because I can’t possibly imagine how you can justify what you’ve written in contrast to the reality that I have.